Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Prime Time





The first time I heard about primer I thought the beauty industry had invented yet another 'must have' product to guilt me into spending more cash on something I didn't need.

Oh how wrong I was. The night I lost my "primer-ginity", I was going to a black-tie do and wearing enough makeup to make Dita Von Teese look underdone. Dinner, drinks and dancing later, I arrived home as the sparrows were chirping and hopped (okay - stumbled) into bed in a full face of makeup.

Upon wakening my head was exploding, but the makeup looked almost freshly applied.

Nothing had moved except my hair (which now resembled Tina Turner in a wind tunnel).

And so began a love affair with primer, the next vitally-important step after water-drinking when it comes to a decent face.

The difference between primer and any normal face cream is (not surprisingly) what's in it.

The non-geek description is: primer contains stuff that makes your makeup stay on longer.

The Poindexter description is: primers contain a mix of polymers, silicone and wax-based ingredients which act as a buffer, assisting products to bond to the skin and dramatically increasing longevity of makeup. (And to think I failed science class, twice).

I'm weirdly proud to say I've owned about 15-20 different brands of primer and swear by the following three:

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm (about $50AUD for a decent-sized squeezy bottle)

More of an emergency rescue device than a primer, this wondrous cream deserves a special mention. It erases most signs of fatigue and leaves skin tighter and brighter than a Cappa Cappa Delta cheerleader. A very thin layer is all you need (otherwise it's prone to caking) and apply your foundation immediately. Added bonus: applied more liberally and it doubles as a very good face-mask.

MAC Prep + Prime (about $45AUD)

Yes I have a thing for presentation and the sleek, panther-like elegance of the black MAC packaging is very sexy. Packaging aside, this delivers results and will give your makeup an extra 6-8 hours of staying power. It fills in fine gaps and lines, sort of like a girl's version of polyfiller. It has a subtle luminous finish, meaning it deflects light and departs radiance without being 'sparkly'. I dislike products which claim to be luminous, but make you look like you've smeared your face in cheap glitter. This doesn't do that. I heart Prep + Prime - it just works.


Australis Primer ($13.95AUD)


Remember those ultra-daggy Australis ads from the 80s? Girls with teased 'wave' fringes and frosted mauve lipstick? And let's not forget the Australis eu de toilette (oh, the toilet) - the gift every Mum had to fake a happy face for on Mother's Day. Since those dark days, Australis has been yanked into the new millenium and now boasts a very good range of products. The primer is no exception: it does what it says, it prevents skin from absorbing your foundation, it fills in fine lines, it smells gorgeous - and it's cheap. So cheap you may as well buy two.

Added recommendation: if you're lucky enough to live somewhere sunny, check for one with SPF.

Now don't get me started on primers for the lips and eyelids. Another time...

Happy priming!


~ Rosie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails